On the menu today: a cultured chocolate beverage, similar to chocolate milk but made with WHEY instead of milk.
What is whey?
Whey is a naturally-occurring "by-product" of dairy fermentation.
Dairy often separates into solids and liquids during fermentation, producing a translucent liquid. This translucent liquid is called whey. (The solids are called curds.)
The whey contains many nutrients, is tangy (courtesy of the long fermentation), and is commonly referred to as 'liquid gold'.
Did your cultured dairy separate into solids and liquid? Use the whey for today's recipe.
Your chocolate whey beverage will have a tangy flavor and very possibly a non-uniform consistency -- some curds may float to the top of your drink, which is perfectly normal. You can eat the curds with a spoon!
Prep time: 2 minutes
- 1 cup whey of L. Reuteri or L. Gasseri Superfood
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder (or to taste)
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Natural sweetener to taste (optional)
In a glass, combine all ingredients. Stir well. (Do not blend.) Serve.
Do not heat up. L. Reuteri and L. Gasseri are heat-sensitive.
- Make L. Reuteri Superfood with our LR Superfood starter culture
- Make L. Gasseri Superfood with our L. Gasseri Superfood starter culture