We have recently come across Dr. Sean O'Mara's MD JD's podcast.
In the episode Fermented Foods Lower Gut Inflammation & Improve Microbiome, Not Fiber-Rich Foods*, Dr. O'Mara reviews a study comparing the benefits to the microbiome from fermented foods vs fiber-rich foods.
- What is the microbiome (microorganisms inside the gut)
- How to improve microbiome composition
- The importance of beneficial microbe diversity in the gut
- Which diet increases beneficial microbe diversity and lowers inflammation
- Fermented foods vs fiber-rich foods in relation to microbiome wellness
- A review of live ferments (that contain living bacteria): sauerkraut, kimchi, kvass, miso, kefir, yogurt, apple cider vinegar
- What to look for when buying fermented foods in the store
- Consumption tips for those unused to fermented foods
- How to start with fermented foods
The information above is for general knowledge, and is not to be taken as individual medical/nutritional advice. The products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
*Episode name on YouTube is "Fermented Foods Lowers Gut inflammation & ^ microbiome NOT Fiber Rich Foods (fruit, veg, nuts, beans)"