Here's an idea for a decadent homemade dessert, perfect for any holiday dinner or family get-together: a Black Forest brownie pudding topped with rich homemade cultured cream.
To make this dessert, you'll need cultured cream or thick yogurt. Make it at least one day in advance, so that it has time to cool and set in the fridge. See instructions:
- Yogurt Plus probiotic yogurt instructions (8 hours culturing at standard yogurt maker temperature. Use whole milk)
- Cultured Cream instructions (12 hours culturing at 104 F). A shoutout to Donna Schwenk from Cultured Food Life, whose recipe is the one used to make the cultured cream in this dessert.
The brownie pudding recipe below is egg-free, grain-free, and alcohol-free, made in a pan/pot. No baking needed. The result will be soft and moist like pudding, not like a baked good.
Prep time: Brownie preps: 5-10 minutes, brownie cooking time: about 15 minutes. Assembly: 5 minutes
Black Forest brownie pudding ingredients:
- Butter or coconut oil, enough to grease the pan/pot
- Almond flour, about 1½ cups
- Milk/almond milk, 1 cup
- Heavy cream or half&half, a small splash (optional)
- Vanilla extract or rum extract (optional), 1½ tsp.
- Cocoa powder, 1½ -2 tbsp.
- Stevia powder: 3-4 individual 2g sachets (total 1½ -2 tsp.) or to taste
- Fresh or frozen berries/seedless cherries, a handful
Black Forest brownie pudding instructions:
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients, except butter/coconut oil.
- Melt and grease pan/pot with butter/coconut oil.
- Pour brownie pudding mixture into pan/pot and cook on medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, till mixture thickens up somewhat, is bubbly, and has some light chocolatey char at the bottom and evident chocolatey aroma. Remove from heat, let cool.
Once cooled, layer the brownie pudding and the cultured cream/yogurt in see-through serving bowls or small yogurt jars, as in the picture. Refrigerate or serve.
You could also sweeten the cultured dairy if desired, but keep in mind that the brownie pudding is fairly sweet already, and that the contrast of the sweet brownie pudding with the fresh, unsweetened, sour flavor of the fermented dairy is simply exquisite!
If you don't have yogurt or sour cream, you could use thick cultured L. Reuteri Superfood made with our L. Reuteri Superfood starter, or thick cultured L. Gasseri Superfood made with our L. Gasseri Superfood starter.