Two fermented superfoods make today's epic dessert: sourdough and yogurt.
We use leftover sourdough (discarded after feeding a sourdough starter) and homemade probiotic yogurt made with Yogurt Plus starter.
Important: As its name suggests, sourdough is sour. Desserts made with it will have a distinctly tangy flavor which might not be for everybody.
Makes: 1 medium-large pancake
Prep times: 5 minutes + 15 minutes cook time + 5 minutes assembly
- 1 cup discarded sourdough (batter consistency. If too thick, add a splash of milk / half & half / cream)
- 1½ tbsps. cocoa powder, or to taste
- Natural sweetener to taste
- A squirt of pure vanilla extract
- Butter to grease the pan
- 1 cup thick yogurt or cultured dairy of your choice
- Berries or other fruit of choice, a few pieces
- In a deep bowl, mix sourdough, dairy, cocoa powder, sweetener, and vanilla until fairly uniform.
- Pour into a pan greased with butter, and cook on each side till firm.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Slice into desired shapes and layer with yogurt and fruit.
Have fun with it!