To make cultured cheese, we need a ready cultured dairy.
Use any of the following:
- L. Reuteri Superfood* made with our L. Reuteri Superfood starter
- L. Gasseri Superfood* made with our L. Gasseri Superfood starter
- Very thick kefir* made with our Easy Kefir starter
- Thick yogurt made with our probiotic Yogurt Plus starter
* Cultured dairy that has naturally separated into curds and whey would be great here.
Fat content matters. Fattier cultured dairy will yield a richer result.
Low-fat cultured dairy might yield very little cheese and a lot of whey.
How to go about it?
Strain the cultured dairy through a cheesecloth for several hours. If needed, leave it to drip overnight. You may want to do it in the fridge.
You should be left with soft cheese-like curd in your cheesecloth. Congrats, you've made cheese.
Expect a nicely sour and rich flavor.
Enjoy it on a slice of sourdough bread.