Did your cultured dairy separate into solids and liquid?
Great! We'll need both of them for this recipe.
This ice cream is frozen-yogurt-like and will work great with any of the following:
- L. Reuteri Superfood made with our L. Reuteri Superfood Starter
- L. Gasseri Superfood made with our L. Gasseri Superfood Starter
- Yogurt made with our probiotic Yogurt Plus starter
Good to know before we start:
- Freezing does not kill the L. reuteri/L. gasseri bacteria.
- As opposed to store-bought ice creams, this one will be tangy. It's a good thing. This pleasant tang is the hallmark of fermentation and is due to the cultured dairy's long fermentation time (36 hours).
- Use both the solids (curds) and the liquid (whey). If your batch did not separate, just use it as-is. The whey is very healthy and provides moisture that helps achieve a more uniform texture when mixing the ingredients.
- Serves: 5-6
- Prep times: 5 minutes (+3 hours freeze time)
- 4-5 cups cultured dairy (curds and whey)
- 4 tbsps. cocoa powder, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract, or to taste
- Natural sweetener to taste
- 4 squares of dark chocolate, crushed into 'chips'
- In a bowl or a jar combine all ingredients. Mix/whisk well. Do not blend.
- Pour into small jars or bowls, leaving some headspace for the mixture to expand.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours
- Get our L. Reuteri Superfood Starter here
- Get our L. Gasseri Superfood Starter here
- Get our probiotic Yogurt Plus starter here