Today we'll be making a delicious and nutritious vinaigrette that pairs well with salads such as Caesar, Niçoise, potato salad, egg salad, non-sweet Coleslaws, tuna salad, and the like.
Our vinaigrette will replace the mayo dressing.
This recipe will work great with:
- L. Reuteri cultured superfood made with our L. Reuteri starter
- L. Gasseri cultured superfood made with our L. Gasseri starter
- Probiotic yogurt made with our probiotic Yogurt Plus starter
- Kefir made with our Easy Kefir starter
As opposed to factory-made mayo, our vinaigrette is made of a real, living food (L. Reuteri or L. Gasseri superfoods, or yogurt or kefir). It will therefore taste fresh and alive.
Separation into solids and liquid (curds and whey) is fairly common in dairy fermentation, and can occur in two different ways: either during the fermentation process itself or during consumption, shortly after dipping a spoon in the finished cultured dairy.
If you're using either L. Reuteri or L. Gasseri superfood:
Whether separated or not, your fermented superfood contains L. Reuteri/L.Gasseri in both the curds (solids) and the whey (the translucent liquid). The whey is good to consume and is healthy. It has a lot of protein, calcium, Vitamin D, and high levels of B vitamins.*
Without further ado, let's make vinaigrette.
Makes: 1 small jar
Prep times: 3 minutes
- 1 cup fermented dairy, both curds and whey (use more whey than curds for a thinner vinaigrette and the other way around for a thicker one)
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 2 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Medium jar with a fitting lid
Add all the ingredients into a jar, shake well. Refrigerate.
- Get our L. Reuteri Superfood starter here
- Get our L. Gasseri Superfood starter here
- Get our probiotic Yogurt Plus starter here
- Get our Easy Kefir starter here
* Raul Cano, Phd., Microbioligist, The BioCollective